Automatic Passenger Counters
As the name suggests, this technology is designed to count the passengers in a bus or any other transportation service. With the rapid growth of urbanization, the higher the demand for transportation. Automatic passenger counters provide you with transparency and accuracy when it comes to tracking transit ridership.
Automatic passenger counters (APC) are installed in your transit vehicle, wherein they will use a sensor to count the number of people entering and exiting. This device works by installing the counter sensor over each door, which then detects passengers as they enter and exit. The counting data is instantly transferred to the cloud platform, allowing immediate and real-time access to valuable information and data-based decision-making. With this instant data, real-time actions on a vehicle or route basis can be triggered. These counters also provide historical reports that are crucial for route, vehicle, and stop optimization.
Compared to conducting manual passenger counting, which can be inaccurate and inconsistent, the passenger sensors improve the accuracy and reliability of tracking transit ridership. This is why it has become an essential tool for operators, authorities, and municipalities to evaluate the services provided, react to traffic situations, and develop future services.
Now that you know about the technology, here is a list of some of the benefits.
- Real-time data of passenger occupancy: Automatic passenger counters provide real-time and processing of data allow for vehicle optimization by using live vehicle occupancy information. This includes a wide range of options for improved planning, optimization, and evaluation of traffic networks.
- Efficient optimization of routes: The occupancy reports will provide the ideal basis for efficient route optimization. With automated passenger counters, public transport companies will be able to analyze transport demand and adapt on a network level on which bus lines need to be increased or decreased.
- Increased customer satisfaction: By sharing the real-time occupancy data from each transportation unit with passengers, they can be directed to available seats while still waiting on the platform. Passengers can then spread out among the vehicles in an optimum way to increase traveling comfort.
- Flexible adjustment of vehicle capacity: Because APCs allow you to gather long-term historical passenger counting data, this allows public transport companies to optimally adjust their vehicle capacities according to transport volume. This means deciding how many buses must be deployed and on which lines. By understanding vehicle capacities and passenger volume, transport companies can also determine and optimize the useful life of the vehicles based on user volume.
- Vehicle equipment in line with passenger requirements: Depending on the type of device, some automatic passenger counters use advanced and sophisticated technology that provides more data than just passenger numbers. The sensor system can reliably distinguish between passengers, baggage, and objects like wheelchairs, bicycles, or strollers. This allows for a more reliable determination of the space required in the vehicle and the implementation of wheelchair access ramps as needed.
- Reduced costs: Passenger counting systems are cost-efficient and highly accurate. They collect and provide differentiated data on transport performance, providing the basis for precise cost reduction based on performance. Instead of having someone manually check and monitor this upon embarking, you can simply have the device do all the work.
- Increased profits from transport advertising: Public transport advertising is remarkably effective due to its repetition and high frequency of advertising views. Transportation companies that provide advertising services on their vehicles can share the people counting data with ad agencies to encourage them to advertise on their vehicles and determine their impact. Advertisers can also select specific routes and vehicles with higher occupancy rates to achieve higher impressions.
- Controlled payment systems and ticketing: APCs offer transparency for the company. By comparing the number of sold tickets with the number of people counted, transport providers can cross-check and have more control over ticketing systems to avoid any discrepancies. Now, you can ensure that the revenue matches the actual passenger count.
Overall, passenger tracking is certainly easier when you take advantage of APCs. Now that you see all the benefits of automatic passenger counters, contact us today and we can install the devices for you.
We also do Fleetmatics Dealer, Verizon Fleetmatics Dealer, Telogis Dealer, Verizon Telogis Dealer, Nextraq Dealer, and Gorilla Safety Prime Dealer.